Monday, September 29, 2008

"FOOD" For thought......

Cooking is a wonderfully creative way to express warmth and love. I've collected a few cookbooks over the years and this recipe comes from PUEBLO INDIAN COOKBOOK, compiled and edited by Phyllis Hughes. As with most recipes I find that I like, I tweak it a bit to suit my families tastes. I hope you take the time to try this as it is delicious!

PUMPKIN SOUP

2 T. butter or olive oil
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 sm. onion, chopped
1 tsp. dried mint, or 2 tsp. fresh, minced
1/2 tsp. each sugar and nutmeg
2 cups cooked peeled pumpkin or butternut squash
2 c. chicken or lamb broth
1 Tbsp. flour 1/2 c. light cream or canned milk
1/4 c. shelled, roasted pinon nuts or pine nuts
1/2 lb. italian sausage, cooked, crumbled and drained (this is my addition as my family likes meat, but the recipe is great without it)

Melt fat in kettle, add tomatoe, green pepper, onion, seasonings and saute 5 minutes. Add pumpkin, broth and meat if using. Stir until blended and simmer 20 minutes. Mix flour and cream or canned milk to a smooth paste, stir into soup. Salt to taste, heat to boiling and simmer 3 minutes. Serve hot, with toasted pinon nuts or pine nuts sprinkled over. Servings 4-6.

Now I'm off to tackle a mountain of ornaments for an order....have a great day!

No comments: