Friday, November 21, 2008

7 Reasons to be thankful..... #2

Second on my list of what I'm grateful for is great food! I love to cook from scratch and as I was taught by mom, cooking is a form of creativity. We had a fund raiser 2 weeks ago for a woman who lost her husband and a leg in a motorcycle accident. I found a killer German chocolate cake recipe, and happen to have two Tiara cake pans that Duncan put out years ago. The only place you can find them now is in a thrift store. But I like the fact that you can get two luscious cakes out of one recipe. Each cake comes out looking like a ruffled version of the strawberry short cakes you can buy at grocery stores, plus they're larger. So I created a chocolate creme cheese filling for the center and here is the result. It disappeared literally over night as my husband is a midnight snacker...lol.
We are so blessed in this country that we have so many choices of foods to eat. Even treats like pomegranite, which I buy every year so I can share with my girls, just as mom did. Or the fact that if we want, we can raise our own turkeys, or just run to the store. There are many around the world with no such choice, so I am very grateful.

2 comments:

La Donna Welter said...

Oh My Gosh.....I see why that cake was gone over night! lol
I love to cook/bake, also! There is something wonderful about creating something out of whatever is in the cub board! Growing up on the farm, I learned to "make-do"! : )

Sheryl Parsons said...

LaDonna you sound like a kindred spirit! We should get to know each other better!