Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Finally! Got to paint again....

Oh, it felt so good to sit down and paint again! It's been at least 2 weeks, and I so needed to unwind with a paint brush in my hand. The fella on the right was finished before the holiday rush hit, but tonight I finished dressing up the one on the left. He still needs to be antiqued, but I'm very happy with the way his coat turned out. It's funny how you start with one thought on a piece and go in a totally different direction sometimes.
This fella above started out as a simple Santa with no frills, but when I started to paint him, the paint brush took over and before I knew it I was deep into a design that took much longer than I planned. Although the photo is less than stellar I hope you can see the detail. There are several layers of paints for each stripe. He was done with a Christmas ornament in mind, at least the colors are from one I have, but the different patterns were of my own choosing. So simple he ended up not being, but fun to paint in any case.
This Americana Santa has a bit different spin, but I really like the way he turned out. I can't wait to finish the antiquing and get him ready to send off. I still need to do a few more, but these are destined for Reasons to Believe.
It's time to hit the sack for the day, and I know I will have visions of Santa's and Mad Hatters and White Rabbits dancing in my dreams. I'm excited to see what the new year will bring, aren't you?

7 comments:

anotherlinda said...

I love this beautiful Santa Sheryl! I am also very happy that you have been able to paint again. Your happiness shows in this Santa! Linda

Sheryl Parsons said...

Thanks so much Linda! Hey, we will be heading to Salem at the very first of August. It would be fun to gather all our Oregon AHA artists for a get together. What think you?

Anonymous said...

Love your Santas!!! I am so happy you were able to "play" Hey...yes, I think it is a great idea!! I am in Oregon...Let's do it! Hugs, Mo

Sheryl Parsons said...

Well hey Mo! Long time no see! Now where are you in Oregon again? Send me an email and we can start the ball rolling on getting folks together.

Good to see you again!
Hugs,
Sheryl

EvScott said...

Happy New Year! Impressed that you're focused and productive already - send some of that this way:)
ev

Sheryl Parsons said...

Sending lots of positives your way Ev, though these are spill over pieces from before Christmas. Yes, the creativity bug has bit, and I actually have several things going on. I can't wait to see your new photo venture. You do have an eye for photography and wish you well with that. Thanks for stopping by!
Sheryl

anotherlinda said...

Hi Sheryl! I think that is a possibility! Linda