Monday, July 19, 2010

What's In a Picture

My vanity always gets the best of me when it comes to having my picture taken so I don't have them done often enough. The worst are the throw away cameras as they will add about 10 pounds or misshape faces among other things. I love how you can do so much with photos now though. I took the same photo and tried different effects to see what I would like better. The black and white is obvious of course, and I suppose the sepia one is as well, but can you tell which is the original and which is antiqued?
Using different effects is dictated by what you are trying to achieve. Sometimes a plain old black and white just looks better, depending on what you are going to do with the photo. Most actors and musicians have their portfolio photos in black and white or a slight variation of such. A person can actually look quite different from what you would see in a regular setting, just by changing the color of the photo.
What do you prefer when taking photographs? Do you ever play around with color and style to see what you can do? I could get bold with these photos, but I'm needing to change my photo on Facebook and other venues to show my new hairstyle. Which one do you like the most? Which one ages or makes look younger? This was a big step for me as I don't like to show photos so be gentle....:-)

2 comments:

Craftymoose Crafts said...

You are so brave, LOl! I hate having my photo taken, but I know that I, too, will soon have to actually put a photo of me rather than the moose on my facebook!

I would guess the bottom left is the original photo? I think they are all nice. Which would I use? I am leaning slightly more to either the black & white or the sepia.

Sheryl Parsons said...

Aw thanks Debbie! It's funny how many people really like black and white photography. There definitely is an art to it, but this was not for art....lol. :-)