Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A Blue Christmas.....

 The first time I saw a color theme for Christmas decorating that differed from the traditional red and green was when I was in 2nd grade. We had come back from Taiwan earlier in the year where we had bought a living room set made from Teak wood with dark turquoise cushions. The drapes had a peacock feather pattern with a white background and again had the same shade of dark turquoise throughout. So Mom gathered some paraffin wax, candle wicking, our broken crayons, and empty frozen juice containers. She created, with our help, the prettiest column candles to put on her brass dragon candle holders we brought back from Taiwan as well. After the candles were firm, she took more melted paraffin and whipped it with her hand mixer until it resembled snow. She topped the lovely candles with the "snow" and sprinkled on glitter. They were so beautiful we didn't want to burn them, so we didn't....lol. That year we had a turquoise colored Christmas, with other turquoise and white decorations to go along with the candles she made. It was so pretty!
 After I set up homemaking and and tending my babies I bought several books and such on Christmas and found that there are many color schemes people like, such as blue and white, purple and gold, maroon and forest green, white, or white and pink, the possibilities are endless!
For those who like the blue and white theme, I've created this blue and white Santa, made from an empty Caesar's Palace shampoo bottle. He's only 5 1/2 inches tall, so he would tuck in anywhere. Right now he's available on ebay .

What color scheme or theme to you like for Christmas? Do you change each year, or stay the same with an addition or two? I'm traditional, but I can see that having different themes in each room might be fun!

2 comments:

Holiday Sparkle - Cyndi LaChance said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. Your Santas are wonderful, and I love the color. I have an aqua blue guy in my shop that thinks a Blue Christmas is devine - LOL

I love the expression on his face :)

Dianie said...

Sheryl,
I loved reading this post you wrote of your mom and your childhood. I can just imagine how beautiful your living room was, and the candles, I can picture them in my mind. Your mom sounds like she was a wonderful woman.
I love the Santa, and the blue is gorgeous!

~Diane